Thursday, April 09, 2020

Young Blood, Short Film, Review And Interview


Young Blood is a narrative representation of an event that is taking place in the real world. This short film reminded me of a television series from the 1970s, The Immortal. The premise is different and Young Blood is set more into our real world than one of science fiction. For me that this film much more unnerving.

I saw Young Blood at the 2019 FilmQuest film festival (website). It was nominated for Best Ensemble Cast and Maiara Walsh was nominated for the Minerva Award.

Fans who like dystopian concepts, especially stories that could be the origin story for such a setting, will find Young Blood interesting.

Synopsis

A facility offering blood transfusions to the aging elite from young healthy donors recruits a young man in financial turmoil.

Logline

A struggling young man in financial turmoil turns to a facility offering blood transfusions from young, healthy donors to the aging elite. He quickly learns that a dark and sadistic underbelly lies beneath the surface.

The director, Malara Welsh, shared some more about her inspiration for Young Blood and for being a filmmaker. She also tells us what to look forward to and some of her likes.

What was the inspiration for Young Blood?

My friend told me about a facility that offers blood transfusions to aging rich people from young healthy donors, and I couldn't get the imagery out of my head. The amount of money they were charging for one transfusion was astronomical, $10,000.00. You need multiple transfusions. I kept thinking that this facility must attract the modern-day vampire. I built the story out from there in an evening and two months later we were shooting!

What project(s) do you have coming up you're excited about?

I wrote a feature for Young Blood and plan to make it my directorial debut. I'm also writing a limited series, working on my music EP, playing shows, and heading out of the country for a project I'm really excited about!

What was your early inspiration for pursuing a career in film?

I have lived in my imagination for as long as I can remember. I would devour books. I created complex worlds with my toys and dolls, and my dreams are very much like Inception, except I can shift into anyone's perspective at any time. I've always been drawn to human dynamics and stories that move or change us. Film was the natural progression, a way to bring my imagination to life to tackle questions I find important or interesting.

What would be your dream project?

I have a fantasy novel in mind that I would like to write and turn into a multi part film. I would incorporate everything I love into one project: writing, acting, directing, creating music for the soundtrack, and collaborating with authentic and talented individuals.

What are some of your favorite pastimes when not working on a movie?

I love to travel and enjoy new experiences; anything that challenges my mind to think in a new way or see something in a new perspective. I also love music and spending time with family and friends.

What is one of your favorite movies and why?

That's always such a hard question. I love many films for different reasons. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest will always be a favorite because of its dark undertones and incredible character development. I also love Black Swan. It's dark and twisted, yet also painfully beautiful.

You can find out more about Young Blood on IMDb (link).

I'm working at keeping my material free of subscription charges by supplementing costs by being an Amazon Associate and having advertising appear. I earn a fee when people make purchases of qualified products from Amazon when they enter the site from a link on Guild Master Gaming and when people click on an ad. If you do either, thank you.

If you have a comment, suggestion, or critique please leave a comment here or send an email to guildmastergaming@gmail.com.

I have articles being published by others and you can find most of them on Guild Master Gaming on Facebookand Twitter(@GuildMstrGmng).



No comments:

Post a Comment